20120122

Bits of Light and Dark

Sonoma Cotton

I've got this vision in my head of white scarves. It's slowly coming to fruition with one silk project under wraps and slated for spring, but I've been keeping my eyes peeled for various whites in cotton. The idea is to combine the strands into one yarn. When knit up, the analogous variation creates a visual depth to the color. I first noticed this on the charcoal cotton I used on Nudge. The fabric has this subtle striation that takes advantage of the multi-strand structure.

By combining this pure white with that Façonnable Cotton I got a while back, I should be able to get the same effect, but I still need to swatch it all out. Who knows, it might suck.

Gap Merino

This charcoal merino is another multi-strand candidate, this time in the merino category, although it's nice enough to stand on it's own. But then again, a halter top women's x-small didn't yield much yarn, so some combo action could happen, depending on the project. Either way it's nice to have it, charcoal merino is always welcome here.

5 comments:

  1. my god i love how you document this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's for my Ravelry stash, although it seems no one looks at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and love it. How in the world do you do this? I have tried a couple of times to unravel a sweater from a thrift store for the yarn, but I always end up with a mess. I can never find a good starting point to start pulling the yarn to unravel it. Can you tell me how you do this or maybe do a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, dude! Well one of the tutorials that got me started was this one, over at Nouveau Fiber Arts: http://www.handspunartyarn.com/p/how-to-unravel-sweater-to-recycle-yarn.html Learning what to look for when thrifting is a really important part of the whole process.

    ReplyDelete