20110323

Merino on the Menu

These are the types of fibers that make me want to purge my yarn stash of all acrylics, and turn my nose upwards with fiber-snob piety. The merino fiber staple is as fine as a spider web, and the resulting yarn spun from it is as soft as one would expect. Add to that the characteristics of wool and what you have is next-to-skin-softness, moisture-wicking properties and the strength of a toothy protein fiber.

BR Red BR Charcoal

Indeed, the strength of these thread weight sweaters came as a surprise. I was fully prepared to deal with breakages during unraveling. There were very few. These sweaters were definitely worn, the two red ones actually had minor damage, but I still got some insane yardage.

Now I know why people go ga-ga for merino.

Club Room Navy Club Room Red

4 comments:

  1. Did you get those shirts and sweaters second hand then unravel them?! I've heard of doing that but I'm not sure on the process or what to look for in the thrift stores so I haven't tried yet. I'm too nervous to!

    Beautiful colors though, I LOVE that grey especially!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's exactly what I did. When I first heard about it I researched it on the web and joined some ravelry groups for further reading. It really is worth it. If you have the time, you save a ton of money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE that you thought to photograph these gorgeous bundles with the tags.

    just beautiful, your amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wish all tags were like these ones. I also started sewing the flat kinds together so I can tie them on.

    ReplyDelete