20101107

Carve Alpha

While figuring out different ways to accommodate multiple price points in my shop, I came up with the Carve series. Initially I thought about making smaller items like coffee cozies, but I'm still undecided about that. Very undecided, but more on that later.

What I know for sure is that I like accessories, so I looked at my pricing strategy: one of my biggest pricing factors is production time. By knitting with heavier weight yarn I can produce an item quicker. That much I learned just by being inundated by chunky knits whenever I do an etsy search. In fact that's pretty much why I started my collection with finer knits, and will continue to produce them. There's an eloquent sophistication about smaller-gauged hand knits. I'd love to see Pyramid Bravo worn with a slim, tailored suit. It would look dope as hell.

Carve Alpha

So this project was an interesting gear-shift for me. I don't want it to sound like I'm merely pandering to a lower price point. Developing this pattern was actually pretty rewarding. It was nice to work with worsted weight yarn again, and being able to work up swatches quickly was great for ironing out all the kinks.

The Carve series is characterized by a section of nullified stitches that reinforce the basic pattern. In this case, the seed stitch sections are carved out by purls. What this does is form the dynamic geometry that I can't seem to shut up about. Another aspect of the series is that the stockinette section at the top slants opposite of the carve.

Good stuff. I love how it turned out. I've already picked out the yarn for Carve Bravo. Want updates? Then don't forget gridjunky likes you!

2 comments:

  1. The color of this is just awesome! They look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks nomuu! A combination of great yarn and great window light.

    ReplyDelete