20100416

crafting: T-shirt Yarn

T-shirt Yarn

I'm kicking myself for donating my old t-shirts after discovering that you can make tarn (t-shirt yarn) out of them. What a great way to recycle t-shirts. I really dig the softness of jersy knit cotton, so I'm all over this.

Tarn is quite chunky. That yellow piece of bamboo in the picture is what I'm using as a nostepinde, which gives you an idea of how chunky it is. I'm still experimenting with spiral cutting and knitting it, but I envision open work accessories like dreadlock beanies and monster lacework scarves. Fortunately there's a flickr group devoted exclusively to tarn projects. Have a look if you'd like to see what people are making out of their old t-shirts.

3 comments:

  1. stop being so cool.

    looks luscious!
    almost edible
    but not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I know what you mean. The white one is the exact size of udon noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah now there's a photo :)
    i recently had my wool scraps on a plate that i had some toast on (toast was already eaten) and thought it would make a really cool food pic series... give us a bowl of wooly noodles!!

    i'll take a pic of mine when it next happens.

    ReplyDelete